Creating an Inclusive Community
The following is a list of action steps to support the promotion of creating an inclusive community. These steps were complemented with a suite of actions enacted in that same period around sexual violence prevention, response, and support and high-risk drinking reduction.
- House Communities
- Created six house communities with increased faculty involvement;
- Built dedicated space for study and social interaction through the House Centers
- Continued organization and hosting of social and academic programs
- Created the Student Organization and Accountability Program
- Developed and implemented a student code of conduct, known as The Dartmouth Pledge, that is signed as part of Matriculation.
- Launched the Experiential Learning Initiative and grant process.
- Appointed an Associate Provost dedicated to expanding the diversity of the faculty and post-doctoral programs
- Designated funds to support hiring faculty from underrepresented groups
- Enhanced financial aid offerings to facilitate the ability for all students to engage fully in the Dartmouth experience.
- Piloted models for a College-wide leadership and wellness initiative over three years before shifting focus to support pre-existing programming in these areas
Additionally, this work intersects with other large-scale campus initiatives including Campus Climate and Culture Initiative (C3I) and Inclusive Excellence. Read more about the current activity of Moving Dartmouth Forward.